Summer may be coming to a close, but last-minute weekend getaways are still in full swing! If you’re prepping for a relaxing staycation, camping adventure, or quick road trip, don’t forget these ten essentials.
Whether you’re camping, hiking, driving, flying, or just chilling out, great snacks are the foundation of any great weekend vacation. Besides getting to explore new and familiar places, weekend getaways are all about indulging at its finest. Pack up your favorite drinks, treats, and a few healthy eats into your waterproof coolers for all of the adventures this weekend has in store.
Here are a few of our favorite snacks and drinks to stock up on:
- Sparkling waters
- Hard seltzer
- Cold brew
- Cured meat and cheese packs
- Hummus and veggies
- Chips + guacamole
- Dried fruit
2. Picnic supplies
Picnics are perfectly paired with all of those yummy snacks you just picked up! Plus, outdoor picnics are one of the easiest and most fun activities to do while social distancing. Explore the park life and scenic views at your destination and take your picnicking up a notch with these items:
- Reusable cups
- Mini cutting board
- Plates + utensils + napkins
- Portable chairs
- Hand sanitizer or hand wipes
3. Travel pillow & blanket
We all know weekends feel way too short, no matter what you’re up to. To make the most of your time away, you might have to catch some zzz’s while your copilot commands the driver’s seat, or as you travel to your next destination via plane or train. Pack along a travel pillow and blanket to ensure your snooze is as restful as possible in the short time that you have. Take it a step further by bringing along some melatonin tablets that’ll help you get to sleep quicker and sleep deeper.
4. Eye mask & earplugs
On the topic of snoozing in-transit, eye masks and earplugs can go a long way, especially if you’re on a loud train or can’t block out enough light while you’re on the road. Plus, if you have trouble sleeping in hotels or new spaces in general, these are great to have on-hand.
5. Polaroid camera
Sometimes our shortest trips are the most exciting ones. When you’re forced to pack all of the fun into a few short days, there are so many more silly memories and wild experiences to be had. A Polaroid camera is a fun way to capture all of your favorite memories in an instant.
6. A good book
If cracking open a great book is your idea of a relaxing holiday, then you won’t want to leave the house without one! Here are a few of our top picks for Summer 2020:
- The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett
- Sex and Vanity by Kevin Kwan
- Exciting Times by Naoise Dolan
- The Pull of the Stars by Emma Donohughe
- Big Summer by Jennifer Weiner
- The Guest List by Lucy Foley
- Utopia Avenue by David Mitchell
- Self Care by Leigh Stein
7. Reusable water bottle
With so many adventures and new views to scope out, it can be easy to forget to take care of yourself while on vacation. Make sure you’re staying hydrated by packing a stylish reusable water bottle along with you!
8. Portable speaker
Whether you’re picnicking, hanging by the campfire, or lounging at the beach, having a stellar soundtrack is a must. Be sure to pack a compact Bluetooth speaker on your journey – don’t forget the charger – and check out these vacation-ready playlists on Spotify:
- Tropical Vacation Playlist by Spotify
- Ultimate Summer Vacation Playlist by Spotify
- Roadtrip with Friends by Spotify
9. Versatile clothing
Quick weekend getaways mean you’ve got to be ready for whatever adventures come your way, so it’s always a good idea to pack versatile clothing with you. Casual athletic shoes, for example, are comfy for walking, but the right pair can be worn out and about with jeans, shorts, or even skirts.
10. Day pack
Pull over and take a gander at that scenic view, go for a quick hike, become a beach bum for a few hours – just don’t forget to bring a day pack that you can fill up with your daytime essentials.
Did we miss anything? Share your upcoming getaway plans and packing list with us in the comment section below!
- The Ultimate Review For Clouds Estate Wine Estate, Stellenbosch
- The Perfect Two Week Itinerary For The Balkan Countries
- The Perfect 5-Day Itinerary For Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon, and Antelope Canyon
- 48 Hours in Durban, KwaZulu-Natal
- Ultimate Guide To Bungy Jumping At Bloukrans Bridge
- Houghton Views Review: The Perfect Camps Bay, Cape Town Hotel
- Cape Town to Namibia Overland: Intro and South Africa’s West Coast
- Travel Tips: 10 Things To Double-Check Before Traveling Internationally
- Gorilla Trekking in Rwanda – An Out of the Ordinary Travel Experience
- The Ultimate Folegandros Travel Guide – A Slice Of Greek Paradise
- The Perfect One Day Itinerary For Cape Town’s Wine Region
- Why South Africa Is The Perfect Destination To Learn English